In exercise of powers conferred under section 29 (1) of RTE Act 2009 Government of Assam has notified SCERT as the State Academic Authority vide order No. PMA.627/2010/34 dated 6th June 2011. The duties and the Academic authority are to lay down the curriculum and evaluation procedure for elementary education.
While developing the curriculum and evaluation procedure the State Academic Authority, Assam has been taken to consider the following.
- All round development of the child
- Building up the child's knowledge , potentiality and talent
- Development of physical and mental abilities of the child to the fullest extent
- Learning through activities, discovery and exploration in a child friendly and child centered manner.
- Medium of instructions shall, as far as practicable, be in a child's mother tongue
- Making the child free of fear, trauma and anxiety and helping the child to express views freely
- Prepare guideline for putting in practice continuous and comprehensive evaluation.
- Formulate the relevant and age appropriate syllabus and textbooks and other running materials as per guideline of NCERT.
- Design course for one year/ two years coaching and training model as per guideline of NCTE, 2009
- Develop pre-service teachers training design for prospective teachers
- Design and oversea implementation of the process of holistic school quality assessment on a regular basis through DIETs/ BRCs and CRCs
Besides the above the Academic Authority is to
- Approve special training based on specially designed, age appropriate learning material etc. to school students
- Suggest the minimum qualifications for persons to be eligible for appointment as a teacher in an elementary school as per NCTE norms and guidelines
- Any other duties responsibilities to be assigned by the govt. from time to time on academic matters
After proclaiming as Academic Authority SCERT, Assam has accomplished the followings-
- Framing the Curriculum has been adopted in the light of NCF 2005. Accordingly, textbooks have been revised from Class I to Class VIII in 10 media of instruction (2011).
- Framing the curriculum for Teacher Education in the light of NCFTE 2009 (2010)
- Incorporation the pupils' evaluation strategy in Academic Calendar 2013
- Development of Resource materials I And II (2013).
- Approval of the Textbooks cum Workbook for special training under section 4 of RTE Act 2009 (2011).