- To assist the Government of Assam in formulating academic policies, planning for quality improvement of School education and teacher education of the state.
- To formulate the relevant and age appropriate syllabus and textbooks and other resource materials as per guidelines of NCERT for elementary schools in all mediums of instruction of the state.
- To conduct and promote Educational Researches in the field of School Education and Teacher Education in Assam and to use the findings of such researches for quality improvement in concerned area.
- To prepare guidelines for putting in practice Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation at the Elementary Stage in the state.
- To design pre-service and in-service Teacher Education courses as per guidelines of NCTE from time to time.
- To design and oversee implementation of the process of holistic school development plan for quality assessment on a regular basis through BRC and CRC.
- To design and conduct training programmes for professional development of teachers and teacher educators in the state of Assam.
- To render extension service to other organisations in academic matters as and when required.
- To promote application of ICTs in educational programmes/ classroom transactional process.
- To strengthen monitoring mechanism for school as well as teacher education of the state.
To perform any other duties and responsibilities to be assigned by the Govt. from time to time on academic matters.
- to conduct teacher education course as per National Curriculum Framework on Teacher Education (Face to Face and Open and Distance Learning mode)
- to conduct short-term training programmes for teacher and teacher educators Development:
- to develop and review curriculum and Textbook in the light of National Curriculum Framework
- to develop and review curriculum for teacher education in the light of National Curriculum Framework on Teacher Education
- to develop reference materials for teacher education courses
- To develop resource material for teacher and teacher educators
- to develop Academic Calendar for schools and TEIs
- to develop guidelines/ materials for effective implementation of CCE in schools and TEIs
- to develop Perspective Plan as well as Annual Work Plan and Budget for teacher education institution as well as SCERT
Research and Survey
- to conduct and promote educational research and surveys for qualitative improvement of school education and teacher education scenario of the state
- to organize seminars and conferences on emerging issues related to school education and teacher education of the state
- to disseminate research findings to policy makers, administrators, field functionaries etc.
- to collaborate with SSA, RMSA, UNICEF, NCERT, electronic and print media and other organizations in the field of school education as well as teacher education of the state Restructuring and Re-organization of Teacher Education Scheme of Assam:
- to re-structure and re-organize SCERT, Assam, as per guidelines for revised teacher education scheme issued by MHRD, GOI on June 2012
- to strengthen SCERT and TEIs as per guidelines of GOI
- to establish New TEIs as per norms
- to facilitate faculties of SCERT and TEIs for capacity building
- to utilize fund allotted to SCERT and TEIs for programme and activities, faculty development and contingencies