Overview of D.El.Ed Course Under SCERT
The role of Teachers in attaining Universal Elementary Education (UEE) has been accepted since the inception of our Republic. The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009, which represents the consequential legislation envisaged under Article 21-A, means that every child has a right to elementary education of satisfactory and equitable quality. It provides for appointment of appropriately trained teachers, i.e. teachers with the requisite entry and academic qualifications.
Teacher education is all about Teacher Education Institutions preparing teachers who in turn teach, involving pupils in a student driven classroom. Teacher education is more important today than it has been in previous century.
SCERT, Assam has been continuously involved for the improvement of quality school education and teacher education of the state since its inception. SCERT Assam is conducting 2 - years D.El.Ed. course through Regular/Face to Face mode and ODL mode to make teachers professionally competent and bringing quality in education.
At present the D. El. Ed course under SCERT is running in two different modes –
- Face to Face mode : The pre-service teachers’ training is conducted in face to face mode by the TEIs under SCERT Assam. TEIs like DIETs, Normal Schools and the BTCs are conducting D. El. Ed course to the prospective SCERT Assam conducts an entrance examination every year in the month of May that is PET (Pre Entry Test) and the session starts from 1st July. This is a Two year course with four semesters.
- ODL mode: SCERT, Assam is also conducting D.El. Ed course in ODL mode from the session 2017-18. SCERT, Assam has been assigned the task to prepare professionally qualified teachers as mandated by the RTE Act to accomplish UEE by implementing Diploma in Elementary Education(D.El.Ed) through Open and Distance Learning(ODL) mode in partnership with UNICEF Assam.
The salient features of imparting this course are:
- To impart training to working untrained teachers in Assam
- To Develop knowledge, skill, capacity and professionalism among them so that they become effective teachers.
- To sensitize them to understand the factors of learning and development of children
- To develop understanding of elementary school curriculum and syllabus among them.
- To acquaint them with innovative changes and developments in teaching – learning process
- To acquaint teachers with their roles and responsibilities in social, cultural and political perspective
- To develop effective professionalism among trainees.